Wednesday 29 February 2012

Have you lost weight?

I was a plump teenager! There! I've admitted to it...in public! Yes I was :) And I was popular. Contrary to popular belief, the slim ones didn't get all the attention. I had my fair share of it and I realized there was no need to be thin, hot blah blah blah to be popular. And then I grew up! And realized that plump girls were friends and slim girls were girl friends! Damn damn damn! I set out to lose weight. Shallow? Maybe! But what the hell! I was taking no chances. I lost weight, became a girl friend...broke up...became single again and decided weight loss had nothing to do with it. I'm still slim but when I look into the mirror I still see the plump kid and I guess that's how it will be for the rest of my life. I am doomed to being disciplined and my friends are doomed to hearing me complain that I'm too fat!

No, this is not a confession and there is a point to it. (At least I think so). It's true that this subject is sensitive. It's also true that it does not always affect our lives. But hey! Someone's got to bring it up. So after numerous self help books, I decided to do it (I still read them, though never in public).

We hear people say all the time, "let him/her love me for who I am! Why should I lose weight?" And we do see people fall in love regardless of the person's weight. And that's a great thing. But fact is that most of us set out to discover personality only after we like what we see. There! I've said it and may someone save me from the people who will be gunning for my life!

That aside, losing weight is tough and I should know it. It's a life style change and a matter of being discipline for ever. And it's not easy. But when you do it...Ah! The compliments. Those are addictive. Every time someone looks at you and says, "wow", you want to hit that gym and dump those chips. That's the motivation. And when you try on those jeans and then tell the sales person, "these are too big. I need a smaller size." That's the best.

So forget whether people like us for our weight or the personality, I did it for myself, for that feeling I get when my friends tell me to shut up and stop talking about my weight. I did it coz I'm worth the compliments. Shallow as it may seem, I love them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment