Wednesday 12 February 2014

crazy little thing called love

I was asked early in the morning, what I would like to do for Valentine's Day! For a minute I was stumped. Wasn't I supposed to be surprised with goodies, gifts and great romantic gestures? Then why was my opinion being sought? And then I thought, "Poor man. After 3 years together and planning surprises for Valentine's Day, birthday, wedding anniversary, engagement anniversary, first date anniversary, first time we met anniversary, first time we exchanged texts anniversary, girl friend day, rose day, propose day, lorhi, karwa chauth, choti diwali, badi diwali, teej, christmas, new years (and I'm sure I've missed out about 500 more days), the guy must be exhausted.Where is he going to find inspiration to make grand gestures again....for the next 50 years or so!" I let him off the hook.



Basically, today is the day when all singles are made to feel bad, like there's something lacking in their lives. As if not receiving some roses (ugh! I hate red roses), sundry gifts and going out to yet another dinner makes them incomplete! As if they are fine on all other days, but now they must feel inadequate. 

On to the married, engaged and in a relationship people - there are women quivering in anticipation and poor men tearing their hair out, quaking in their boots, checking their credit limits while hallmark, jewellery brands and restaurants rub their hands in greedy glee. By the end of tomorrow, a lot of relationships will hit a bad patch because the day was not planned well enough. There will be cries of "you didn't care enough to do this for me", followed by shame faced apologies. The newer relationships may survive because there is still scope for surprise.



I asked myself this today - "will I love this guy more if he send me roses tomorrow?" No! I love him whenever he sends me flowers and even on days when he doesn't. Because relationships are not about a day and you need to feel loved every day!

As for the single people - my favourite Valentine's Day (when I was single and even now) is one that I spent with Sharmistha, having dinner, catching up on each other's news and having a giggle. And even that is just a day, because with my friends and people I love, each day is special. I don't need advertising mushy cards to validate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment