Monday 17 October 2011

Dream come true

Year - Somewhere in the 1990s.
City - Mumbai

A young girl from Delhi moved to Bombay with stars in her eyes. She knew she was going to meet a lot of people whose talent she had admired...and she did! Some experiences were good and some were bad but one stood out in her mind and remained close to her heart.

The girl was me and the man whose talent I had admired was Jagjit Singh. Like everyone else in the country, I loved his music. It spoke to me! I dreamt that one day I would meet him! And I did.

I had to interview him for a show I was hosting. It was a rainy night and he was attending some event. At the end of the evening (I was exhausted by then), he sat down to be interviewed. He was charming but in no mood to discuss anything. He kept smiling and asking me questions till I reminded him that he was the interviewee here. It made no difference to him. He insisted on knowing which of his songs I liked best. I told him and he sang it for me (with me singing along while I can't carry a tune). It was one of the best evenings of my life.

He would not have remembered this evening at all, but his charm made a young girls dream come true. He made my evening and it's a story I will tell for a long time to come. He's gone, but his music lives on...and for me, the memory is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment